Employer: robinhood markets, inc.
- Location: Palo Alto , CA
- Stage: Series C with $176 Million Total (DST, Google Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, NEA, Index Ventures, RibbitCapital).
- Founded: 2013
- Sector: Financial Technology
- Company Size: 75 Total
- Engineering Size: 40 engineers
- Valuation: $1.3B
- Core Tech Stack:
- Python/Django, Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store.
- Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
- Celery as our task queue using RabbitMQ.
- Kept current at: https://angel.co/robinhood
- ALL CANDIDATES MUST HAVE:
- Only Top Senior Caliber Candidates will be considered in 2018.
- If junior-ish candidate graduated college between 2014 - 2012 must be top 5% school & top 5% startup experience.
- Only Top Senior Caliber Candidates will be considered in 2018.
- Most Candidates Fail:
- Onsite lacking relational database knowledge (ie: PostgreSQL)
- Android Engineer
- Senior Backend Engineer
- Performance Engineer
- Lead Web Engineer
Robinhood is a technology driven brokerage that allows customers to buy and sell stocks with $0 commission. We believe that everyone should have access to the financial markets and are on a mission to inspire a new generation of investors.
Robinhood was built from the ground up to be as efficient as possible. By cutting out the fat — hundreds of storefront locations, manual account management, expensive Super Bowl ads, etc. — we are able to maintain a lean bottom-line and pass the savings along to you, the customer. This has enabled us to become the fastest-growing brokerage ever with two million users, over $50 billion in transactions, and $500 million in commissions saved.
Rare opportunity to join a brand new Unicorn and still under 100 people.
- $50B in trades executed since our 2015 launch
- 2M+ users
More company information at the bottom of the page.
- Engineering team screens candidate profile and tells recruiters to setup interview or reject
- Moderate Candidates: ~30 min. culture call with Recruiter
- Great Candidate: ~30 min. culture call with Engineer
- Amazing Candidate:
- Company will provide Feedback: 1-2 days.
- Weekly feedback synch up
Robinhood’s story begins almost a decade ago at Stanford University, where co-founders Vlad Tenev & Baiju Bhatt were roommates and classmates. After spending long nights toiling on problem sets together, the two decided to pack their bags and head to Wall Street to build a company that made trading platforms for some of the world’s largest financial institutions.
They soon learned that electronic trading firms pay effectively nothing to place trades on the market. On the other hand, everyday investors were taxed up to $10 per trade. Baiju and Vlad realized it was time to bring this advantage to everyone. By automating many of the costly duties that existing brokerages maintain as a holdover from the pre-Internet era, they could build a much more cost efficient and enjoyable brokerage.
Founders and Leaders
- Vladimir Tenev (Founder) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/vladimir-tenev-7037591b
- Baiju Bhatt (Founder) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bprafulkumar
- Miles Wellesley (Head of Business Development) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/mileswellesley
- Nathan Rodland (COO) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/nrodland
- Kym Lee (Head of People) - http://www.linkedin.com/in/kymyclee
- Joe Binney (VP of Product Engineering) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/jbinney
- Archit Shah (General Counsel) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tenarchits
- Zane Bevan (Creative Director) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/zane-bevan-5b76a617
How does Robinhood make money?
- Robinhood makes money in many of the same ways as traditional online brokerages
- Revenue from Robinhood Gold, our collection of premium services including margin and extended hours trading, starting at $10 a month
- Accruing interest from customers’ uninvested cash balances. But it is important to note that customers are not charged.
What type of security does Robinhood use?
- Robinhood uses bank-level security measures to protect personal information. Password, social security number, and other sensitive data are encrypted. Our mobile and web applications communicate securely using SSL and 256-bit encryption.
- We do not store online banking credentials and never will. Banking credentials are used once to authenticate and verify a user’s account belongs to them.
Position 1: Android
- 3+ years of Recent Android Expereince
- Intimately familiar with the lifecycle intricacies of Android components
- Desire to ship in a truly mobile-first environment, with an award-winning Android app
Nice to have
- You are familiar with Kotlin, RxJava, Dagger 2, Retrofit/OkHttp, Room, and other libraries in our tech stack
- Experienced working with open source code
- Strong design intuition and user empathy
- On top of Android news including new open source libraries and best practices
- Love writing custom Views, ViewGroups, and new UX interactions
- Enjoy actively writing unit tests for new code
- Write highly performant code and know how to performance tune Android apps
- Self-driven to improve the app and codebase above and beyond what's outlined in the spec
Position 2: Senior Backend Engineer
- Sourcing String: ((Django | Python | Go | Java | Scala | Java | C++ | C )) AND (SQL | mySQL | Postgres)
- 5+ years Backend experience, building out a platform
- Solid understanding of relational databases and transactions.
- Comfortable writing highly concurrent systems.
- Good intuition for REST API design.
- Intimate familiarity of Python/Django or Go is a plus.
- Infrastructure, and data structure Experience
- Call with the recruiter
- 1 hr Skype. Most likely 2. Coding interview
- On site - 5 hr. (can break to 2 half days)
- Solve unique scalability challenges with a world class team committed to the same mission
- Opportunity to develop leadership skills by mentoring junior engineers and driving design decisions
- Collaborate on open source projects with our engineers like Ask Solem (the creator of Celery)
- Play a critical role in setting up Robinhood for success in the future
- Immense potential for personal growth, creativity, and experimentation
Position 3: Lead Performance Engineer
- 3+ years of experience as a Performance Engineer/Architect
- Knowledge of Linux kernel fundamentals (CPU scheduling, memory management, disk and network I/O, etc)
- Knowledge of tracing frameworks like bcc/BPF, perf, or DTrace
- Knowledge of application profilers like cProfile and pprof
- Experience in diagnosing performance issues using methodologies like the USE method
- Familiarity with web servers, SQL databases, caching, and the kernel networking stack
- Familiarity with Python 2/3 and Go-lang in virtualized environments inside AWS
- Build monitoring tools and systems to provide performance telemetry across all Robinhood systems
- Standardize system deployments so performance monitoring is included out-of-box
- Perform scalability design reviews and load testing of new services
- Advise teams on capacity planning, performance regression testing, and bottleneck analysis
- Build out the new performance engineering team
Position 4: Lead Web Engineer
As a founding member of our web engineering team, you’ll directly impact the lifeline of the business by building our first consumer-facing web product. The product will feature real-time, live-updating data and context-dependent interfaces, so you’ll be building a very rich client-side web application.
- What sets us apart:
- Work directly with our CEO and VP of Product Engineering
- Define the web platform as a founding member of our team
- Work with our award-winning design team
- Architect new consumer features and reusable UI paradigms using ReactJS
- Lead the product from inception to launch, and own large parts of the product’s execution
- Collaborate with our award-winning design team to rapidly iterate on the product
- Team/Technical Leadership experience (you made critical decisions affecting product/people and led these efforts)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in CS or related field)
- 4+ years of full-time working experience on a consumer-facing web product
- Great design intuition and user empathy
- Understanding of functional and reactive programming paradigms
- Proficiency in Python and Django (bonus points)
- Worked on B2C solutions
- Worked at top consumer companies or Design Shops (Google, Airbnb, Slack, Ueno)
Dev Ops (Team of 4)
- Sourcing String: Linux & (SaltStack | Ansible | Chef | Puppet ), 4 years experience
- Ideally 4+ years in DevOps or related role
- Extensive familiarity with Linux administration and tuning
- Experience setting up, running, and monitoring public-facing web servers
- Proficiency in shell scripting and at least one dynamic programming language (Python, Java, Ruby,m etc)
- Ideal candidates will be familiar with the setup and maintenance of a distributed data store
- Strong foundation in one or more configuration management systems (SaltStack, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc)
- Bonus for newer technology - Mesos, Kubernet, Mesos, Terraform, Consul, Vault
- School & degree not critical
- Other Criteria
- Startup experience preferred
- Large company - need to check for culture fit. They often don’t work well at startups.
- No Job hopper. Need to hold job for at least 1 year
- Max 15 years in general. Not a hard rule.
- Interview process:
- Call w recruiter
- Phone dev op leads
- Meet 4 people - 5 hr
Robinhood (Palo Alto) - Series C, $176M, Data Engineer - 4+ years. Python & (Airflow | Celery | Elasticsearch | Logstash | Kibana | Kafka | Redis | Redshift | AWS | Zookeeper | Consul). Visa transfer OK.
Every decision made at Robinhood is backed by data; our company trajectory is defined by the systems, tools, and analytics powered by our exceptional team. We integrate multifaceted data streams such as rapidly changing market data, user data based on app activity, and brokerage operations data to perfect our processes and workflows. Improving these systems and maintaining scalability across a growing user base (1 million and counting) is thrilling, particularly on a team of 3.
- Requirements (not specified)
- Data Tech Stack includes:
- Redshift + AWS
Robinhood (Palo Alto) - Series C, $176M, Product Designer - Excellent Portfolio & B2C design experience & (Mobile & Web experience) & Visual Flair & (Worked at top consumer companies with Good UI) & (Understands roles Visuals & UX & UI play in good design) & (User Centric Design). Visa Transfer OK.
Robinhood is seeking a Senior Product Designer to work on the Robinhood iOS, Android and web product. This is a unique opportunity to join a small team that has already garnered significant accolades including the Apple Design Award and Google Play Award. The Design Team at Robinhood is instrumental in shaping every aspect of the product. The Senior Product Designer will work closely with leadership and will be charged with developing original solutions to large interesting challenges.
- Most importantly, love and care for their craft
- Excellent portfolio
- Strong product sensibility
- In-house B2C design experience
- Experience designing both consumer-facing mobile and web products
- Understanding of interaction design and information architecture
- Experience developing wireframes and prototypes
- Expert level skills in Adobe creative suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects) and Sketch
- 3-5 years of experience building excellent consumer products
- Ideal candidates from Top Design Agencies (e.g. ueno)
- Nice to have a formal training in Art.
- Example portfolios
Robinhood (Palo Alto) - Series C, $176M, Senior iOS Engineer, ((Swift | Objective-C) & UIKit). 5+ years experience in OS. Visa Transfer OK.
We’re looking for talented, motivated iOS engineers to join our Apple Design Award winning team to help expand Robinhood’s mobile experience across the globe.
- 5+ Years of iOS specific work
- Deep Understanding of UIKit
- Strong product sense and experience working with product designers
- Bachelor's degree in CS preferred
- Tech Stack:
- Swift & Objective-C
- Core Data