- Location: San Francisco
- Founded: 2015
- Company Size: 16
- Engineering Size: 5 (to grow to 12 by end of the year)
- Stage: Seed, $3.5M
- Investors: Y Combinator, SoftTech VC, SV Angel
- Visa: Visa sponsorship available
Captain401 is a YCombinator company that offers every user an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan. We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future in a time when Social Security and retirement pensions aren't enough for people to retire on anymore.
Captain401 is a modern 401(k) solution built to be automated and paperless, making it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees that they never could before; a huge market given only 14% of this market offer retirement today! Your work will safeguard the financial futures of countless employees.
You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We’re backed by top Silicon Valley investors including Y Combinator, SoftTech VC, SV Angel, Joe Montana, Jacob Gibson (co-founder of NerdWallet), and Greg Brockman (former CTO of Stripe).
Position 1: STAFF (PRINCIPAL) ENGINEER
Must Be Able to
- Refine our data modeling, currently shared across SQL, GraphQL, TypeScript, Sequelize and joi
- Research and implement industry best practices around data ingestion, ETL, task processing
- Establish metrics and SLAs around everything we do to increase visibility and make prioritization easier across engineering and operations
- Create observable systems so that debugging is much easier
- Create a messaging system and figure out system boundaries
- Research pragmatic technology choices for the above and bring your own :)
What you'll Do
- Contribute directly to high-impact projects of key importance to our business across the stack
- Grow engineers in their technical skills, with a focus on senior engineers
- Help establish and share knowledge of best practices across the team
- Support teams in day-to-day development as a technical mentor
- Lead prioritization of work related to technical debt and improving our platform
- Work with engineering management to identify ways to improve our integration and delivery pipelines
- Support engineering management in hiring junior, senior, and QA engineers
- Learn and embrace the staggering complexity of payroll deduction-based investment and law translated to business rules!
Software Engineer (Full Stack) - On Hold
- Minimum Requirements:
- 3+ years post college experience
- CS degree strongly desirable, top bootcamp candidate OK
- SQL (ideally Postgres)
- Nice to have:
- Compensation (Recruiter Only)
- Cash: $110-$150K
- Equity: 0.15%-0.4%
- Interview Process (Recruiter Only)
- Send resume directly to the CTO - 1-2 day response
- Target timeline to offer: 1-2 weeks if candidate schedule flexible
- 1st call: With CTO with high level algorithm question
- 2nd call (45m): coding test using coderpad. Typical interview question manipulate data.
- On-site interview:
- 1.5 hour technical interview - coding (can google for help)
- 1 hr coding interview
- 1 hr interview with a product manager discussing a potential task using a real agile process ticket
QA Test Automation Engineer (Lead) - On Hold
- Techstack is React & Node.js. They would consider Sr QA automation engineer who does not have direct React and Node.js experience but has the capability and desire to learn.
- The person will be the only QA automation engineer, so there is no one to teach the person what to do. It's a single member lead position.
- Selenium experience is required. Ideally also Enzyme (react testing)
- The person needs to be a developer - can write the code to develop the automation tools. This is not a manual QA testing role. Coding test will be part of the interview process.
- Ideally, the person can do devops also.