(Note - Inline text on this page in Teal are links to additional information.)
EMPLOYER: abl schools
Location: San Francisco, CA, 201 Post St
Company Size: 11
Engineering Team Size: 5
What few people other than school leaders realize is that running a school is an incredible complex logistics problem. In a typical school with 1000 students and 150 staff, there are millions of possible combinations of classes, students, teachers and their respective schedules. All of these schedules are deeply interdependent. Any change results in a chain reaction that may impact every other person in the entire school. Yet despite this complexity, schools lack software to help them explore, visualize and simulate logistics. Instead they end up with schedules that don’t meet the needs of their students and teachers.
Technology has made the world more connected, fundamentally changing how we we live, work and interact. Yet traditional schools have not evolved to prepare students for success in the 21st century. Tweaking the curriculum won’t be enough. We believe schools need a new foundation.
We’re building the software that makes this possible. That’s why we’re building an operating system that helps schools use data to respond to the individual needs of their teachers and students. Our goal is to empower schools to adopt new approaches by helping them better leverage their time and resources.
Position 1: Senior Back end Engineer
- B.S. degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- Strong fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, and software engineering.
- 6+ years industry experience.
- Experience with Ruby (Other back end languages like Python, Java, C++ , Scala are acceptable).
- Candidate must be willing to learn and work with Ruby.
- Must have experience leading other engineers and fully accountable for project delivery and typically 6+ years industry experience.
- This is a hands on coding role. As the company grows, there will be growth opportunity to lead others.
- Must be a self starter and have startup experience; ideally seed stage. People only work at large companies are unlikely to succeed in the environment.
- Must be passionate about company’s mission - improving education. Will not hire people who don’t care what type of companies they work for.
- Experience in SaaS (Software as a Service) or Education industry is preferred, not required.
- Company has strong collaboration culture. Org structure is flat; everyone has a voice. They are looking for people who want to make actual impacts, not sensitive to title.
- Compensation: $130-$160K plus equity
- Visa: will sponsor transfer
- We have been contracted to only source hard to find female candidates.